Friday 23 October 2009

My love letter to a city

Dear London,

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways... (I'll get into how I *don't* love thee some other time, like when I've just climbed up and down 400 steps just to get in and out of the tube station, or when I've been waiting for the 168 bus for 15 minutes and then one comes and doesn't let anyone on because it is rush hour and there is no room, or when I've gone into 27 different stores looking for those little clear plastic hair-ties I like and STILL haven't found any)... but for now, let me tell you how I love you...

I love that I have gotten everywhere I need to go over the past week and haven't had to use a single mode of transportation other than walking. I love that I can walk ten minutes down my street and find an H&M, American Apparel, and (just discovered) a Whole Foods (even though I cannot currently afford to actually GO to any of those places). I love that on the same street as Gap and Baby Gap, there are also about 14 different tattoo and piercing parlors. I love that you have stores that are tights/leggings boutiques SLASH piercing parlors. I love that I can walk into Camden Market sporting two facial piercings and a tattoo and be one of the most conservative/mainstream-looking people there. I love that people tell me they like my accent, even though I don't have an accent and clearly THEY are all the ones with accents. I love that you have universal health care. In fact, I love it so much I almost feel as though I should injure myself just so I can feel I've taken full advantage of the system (I said *almost*). I love that I can walk home at night from a mile and a half away and not feel as though I am in imminent danger of getting shanked. I love that I can buy wine in pretty much every store I go into. I love that you have washing machines in pretty much every flat. I love that everything is a tiny and adorable version of itself (just like me!)- tiny fridges, tiny boxes of juice, tiny strawberries, TINY BOTTLES OF WINE (they could fit in my purse... not that I've tried...), tiny cups of tea with tiny little hats and jackets to go with (to the uninitiated, hats and jackets are what I call lids and sleeves). And let's not forget clothes! I have finally landed in a country where they make tiny and adorable clothes. A.k.a. clothes that fit me. THANK YOU LONDON.

Oh London, so many things I love about you... please remind me of all of these when next I have to walk a mile home in the driving rain, or when I decide to ride the tube during rush hour and end up with my face smashed into someone's deodorant-less armpit, or when I have to write an 8,000-word essay on international law (though that's less to do with you as a city and more to do with me as a heroic human-rights-type person- YOU'RE WELCOME, international community)...

Anyway London, thank you for being your fabulous self so that I can be my fabulous self without getting looked at funny.

XOXO,
Joce

2 comments:

  1. i found a city like this - it's called minneapolis. BWAAAAAAAAAH HAHAHAHAHA!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love you. i'm sitting in formation of the christian tradition class at tooearlyinthemorning and smiling SOBIG, thankful for this lovely and hilarious distraction :)

    ReplyDelete