Monday 9 November 2009

An open letter...

Dear World,

I have an amazing sense of humor (if I do say so myself). I am smart, and funny, and independent, and self-sufficient, and I can usually take things with a grain of salt. I am excellent at 'laughing it off' and finding the humor in whatever ridiculous situation I find myself in (and I seem to find myself in an excess of ridiculous situations). In fact, I often get myself into trouble (or at least into yet more awkward situations) for laughing at times others would deem inappropriate. I like this about myself- I like that I'm the girl that can laugh, that can make other people laugh, that has no problem laughing at herself.

But sometimes I'm sad, and I don't have the energy to temper that sadness with laughter. Sometimes, what I need is to cry on my way home, in public, and not have people judge me for it. Sometimes, what I need is to be disappointed and not have someone try to snap me out of it. Sometimes, I need to be upset and not have anyone think less of me for it.

I guess what I'm saying is that too often, the World makes us choose: are we going to be the upper or the downer, the one that makes everyone laugh or the one that brings everyone down; are we going to be happy or sad? And I guess what I'm asking is to not be forced to choose. Can't we just feel what we feel and not be labeled for it? We are obsessed with labels and categorizations- it makes us feel like we understand, like we are in control. But sometimes we don't understand, and we're not in control; sometimes it's not either/or; sometimes things fall into the space between. I am the girl who laughs and the girl who cries; please, World, don't make me choose.

1 comment: